Saturday, February 21, 2009

Just think for a minute!

My Zimbio
Top Stories

I have to admit, I have not always been one to spend much time pondering and analyzing the mysteries of life. I'm 100% guilty of being somewhat of a ditzy blonde type, who would simply waltz through life and roll with the punches. But for some reason, that is beginning to change. Maybe my thinking type wife is beginning to rub off on me. Or maybe the damage to my Cerebral Cortex from my car accident back in 1989 is finally beginning to heal. I hope so!

What Im saying is; I thank God that I am beginning to look at things differently. For example: I look at people differently. I have a much higher grace quotient than I did in the past. I look at my family differently. I know that I cannot control their futures. I can only guide them. I look at work, our government, my past, my future all very differently than I did when I was younger. All of which, I think and feel more deeply about than I ever have. I guess you can call that growing up. Or you can call it taking life more seriously. I call it walking around constantly thinking, being weighed down by things that probably shouldn't bother me. Whatever it is, it certainly has made me more aware, and much more intent in what I do.

When I sit back and think about who I would be if I just waited for life to unfold before me, or waited for events to take place, I find myself in a very lonely, isolated place. But if I intentionally choose to move forward, or look deeper at the world around me, I see so much more happening. Some times I like what I see, and other times I'm scared out of my mind at what is going on around us.

What I'm talking about here, is that I am concerned that we are becoming a generation controlled by an anchored desire to be entertained rather than to think. I fear that we as a nation have lost the ability to think. I fear that we have made thinking nothing more than a pastime rather than a way of life, because we have been so catered to, with our flat-screen, American idol, iPod culture. We are told what to think. We are told what reality is. And we have believed the lie. I wonder why we as Americans have not stormed Washington and strung up all of those idiots, who time after time vote to hand our hard earned money to special interest groups and lobbyists, all the while throwing in legislation (PORK) that take away our rights.

I fear we have lost the ability to see past the political rhetoric and partisan pep talks. I fear that we will be satisfied with the status-quo as long as we are not starving! But until that day comes, we are becoming nothing more than frogs sitting in a pot of warm water, waiting for it to come to a boil. But by the time we realize what is happening it will be too late. I mean what's wrong with $700 billion here and $787 billion there? What's a few cents tacked on to our mileage here and a little more paper work to buy a gun there? Not much... but just think for a minute... and think about what you will be doing in 10 years if you and 350 million of your neighbors keep pace with our current social and entertainment trends and never stop to think!

No comments: