Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mayoral update!

My Zimbio
Top Stories

Just in case anyone in Kokomo, Indiana is concerned about the financial and ethical stability of our fair city, I am here to put your minds at ease! While on a date with my wife last Friday, I had the fortunate experience of running into one of our good friends, who happened to be dinning with Greg Goodnight, the Mayor of Kokomo. We said "Hi", and joked around for a minute as we got through the formalities of the introductions. But then they asked us to stay and hang out with them for a while. Of course we were up for a good night of fun and conversation, so we sat down and chatted with our new friends.

As it turned out, I had already met Greg and his wife a few years back while working at their home. I just didn't really know who they were. Nor was I aware of their civic involvement. But now that he is the Mayor of Kokomo, I recognized his face and eventually we talked about our previous home repair co-experience (Which was a good one by the way). But we also talked about the state of the city.

Being the political bystander that I am, I asked him the questions that any informed citizen should already know like: "What kind of shape is Kokomo in financially?" and "How is the economy affecting Kokomo's tax base?". Then of course, he answered those questions like any informed mayor should do; with confidence and knowledge. He was pleased to inform me that Kokomo is actually doing very well. They have trimmed the budget and are keeping additional debt at bay. He further informed me that while other cities in the state are accumulating debt, Kokomo is actually finding creative ways to save money!

So, kudos to Greg and his team. It seems as if he is doing a great job when other cities are struggling. And by the way, he and his wife were very friendly and pleasant to us even though we were somewhat strangers. He is obviously a thinking man and avoids the common distractions of life such as television and excessive entertainment. What a role model! Not only to me but to fathers and leaders everywhere. After dining with him that evening, I could discern the he deeply cares about his family, his friends and the city of Kokomo. He is focused, intelligent and quick witted. All in all, he is what I call a good guy! And I think that as long as Greg Goodnight is overseeing the City of Firsts, we are in good hands in good times and bad! Go Greg!

No comments: